Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 22, 2011

October 22, 2011

I haven't posted in a while so I thought I would bring you up to date.  Since changing assignments, my opportunities to "make a difference" have been somewhat reduced.  But, I know that God will present me with opportunities when he sees fit to do so.

I have to admit that I enjoy working day shift only.  The night shifts were brutal.  I'm not as young as I used to be.

Right now, I am focused on a man I have seen 3-4 times over the past couple of weeks.  I currently work in an area about 45-60 minutes away from Port-Au-Prince.  I see this man scooting along side the road, using only his hands and arms.  I'm assuming that he is paralyzed from the waist down.  I stopped to talk to him yesterday but I didn't have an interpreter with me.  I wanted to find out if he would be interested in a wheel chair.  I simply couldn't overcome the language barrier.

I saw him again this morning, but I wasn't driving and we were already past him when I spotted him.  I am intent on getting him a wheelchair, if he wants one.  With the generosity of Greg and Michelle Roberts from Chadasha Foundation, http://www.chadasha.org/ I will be able to give him a wheelchair.  I hope that he wants it and I hope that it will make his life somewhat easier.

It is heartbreaking and depressing to see some of the people here in Haiti.  But, I have resigned myself to the fact that I can't help everyone.  I also cannot pass up the opportunity to help some of them.  I continue to see Michee on a regular basis.  I have him come to where I live once per week.  I feed him a good meal and give him some money for his mother so she can buy groceries.  I also continue to help Rebuild Globally,  http://www.rebuildglobally.org/.  I wish I could do more.  It's very frustrating.

I hope to see Ken Ken again this week.  You can see additional photos of Ken Ken on my Facebook page.  I doubt that he will live much longer.  It absolutely breaks my heart.  I know though that I did everything I could for him.   I just thank God that Michelle and Greg from Chadasha answered my call.  Perhaps God has another plan for Ken Ken.

I continue to struggle with this mission.  I'm not placing blame on anyone.  It just seems that there is so much more that can be done.  But, I do my job every day and I try to go the extra mile and do what I feel God wants me to do.  I no longer focus on the mission.  My focus is on helping when and where I can.

In the past couple of days I've performed first aid on a couple of people.  The most recent was the victim of a motorcycle accident.  Several of the Haitians think I'm some sort of doctor.  Today, my team leader came up to me and handed me a prescription from a doctor for one of the jail inmates where I worked.  He asked me if I could fill the prescription.  I really got a big chuckle out of that.  So far, I've used a lot of my first aid supplies.  As soon as I get home I have to bring back my Combat Life Saver (CLS) bags that I had in Iraq.  They are packed with first aid supplies.

Well, that's about it for now.  I am including some photos of a few places outside of Port-Au-Prince.  There really are parts of Haiti that are beautiful.  I hope that this posting finds each of you healthy and happy.  Until next time, take care, stay safe and God Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment